Object Collections

The object collections are comprised of textiles, paintings, drawings, metals, furniture, ceramics, glass, and other decorative arts. All further the mission of the Archives, which is to preserve and document the history of the Sisters of the Holy Names of Jesus and Mary within the U.S.–Ontario Province. This includes administrative history and the ministry work of individual Sisters.

Most of the object collections remain uncataloged and are unavailable to researchers except by special arrangement.

Commemorative Medal

thumb medal-largeGold, 1 1/2" H x 1 1/4" W
1874-1877
Gift of Jim and Judy Morton, 2012.3.1

This medal was given to Mamie Loughran (1859-1935) while she was a boarding student at the Convent of Our Lady of the Sacred Heart in Oakland, California. Mamie attended school at the Convent from 1874 to 1877.

Medals for mending and the like were awarded as "premiums" to students during the school's biannual public exhibitions that showcased student achievement. This medal was presented to Mamie by Reverend Michael King, the beloved pastor of the Oakland parish who had welcomed the Holy Names to California in 1868.

Announcement, "Let our students pause and read"

thumb announcement-mediumPrinted cardboard, 10" H x 18" W
1910-1930
Gift of Lois King Draina, AHN Rome '59 and Barbara King Lord, AHN Rome '56, 2012.6

This announcement hung in the mahogany stairwell between the first and second floors of the Academy of the Holy Names in Rome, New York for many years until the school closed in 1963. Opened in 1865, the Academy educated many generations of young women in upstate New York. It offered a solid classical education as well as fine and decorative arts, music and drama. As the announcement indicates, proper deportment was expected of all Holy Names Girls.

Crater Lake

crater-lake-largeMary Valere Geelan, snjm (1874-1928)
Oil on canvas, 8" H x 34 7/8" W
Circa 1910
Gift of Joyce and Frank Bastasch, 2008.17

Sister Mary Valere taught painting, drawing and china painting in Holy Names' schools throughout Oregon. She began teaching at St. Mary's Academy in Medford in 1909. While there she took the students on drawing and painting excursions to nearby Crater Lake, the deepest lake in the United States. Sister Mary Valere painted at least seven views of Crater Lake, many of which were displayed at the students' art exhibition in June 1911.