Announcement, "Let our students pause and read"

thumb announcement-mediumPrinted cardboard, 10" H x 18" W
1910-1930
Gift of Lois King Draina, AHN Rome '59 and Barbara King Lord, AHN Rome '56, 2012.6

This announcement hung in the mahogany stairwell between the first and second floors of the Academy of the Holy Names in Rome, New York for many years until the school closed in 1963. Opened in 1865, the Academy educated many generations of young women in upstate New York. It offered a solid classical education as well as fine and decorative arts, music and drama. As the announcement indicates, proper deportment was expected of all Holy Names Girls.